At this time of year, new commitments to health and fitness are common. I know I have made multiple diaries with charts, dates, goals and promises over the years. Renewed lifestyle resolutions are a good thing, but we need to find a way to sustain and evolve them on a regular basis, making our day to day function better than ever before.
How can we make every day count and get on a more sustainable and satisfactory path? Extreme exercise routines or fad diets are options but how do we make our resolve last longer than a day, a week or a month?
Think process. Process implies evaluation(I am out of shape), planning(I am going to do this), application(do it) and then reevaluation(can I make it better). It is never ending. There are ups and downs, but it is always present.
10 things you can do today to stimulate sustainable lifestyle resolutions:
- Forgive yourself. Stop beating yourself up over recent adventures including lying on the couch for days or consuming that box of chocolates a little faster than you intended. It’s done. It’s now time to literally move onward.
- Start with daily mini exercise sessions. Make a concerted effort to move your body for a set period of time. Start with a 5 minute brisk walk in your home or adjacent hallways.
- Improvise. Stick some music on and boogie. It really is that easy. Don’t fling yourself about with great force unless you have worked up to it.
- Drink more water. Sometimes thirst is disguised as hunger. I hate plain water, so I have sparkling water or herbal tea instead.
- Try something new. Has a friend or colleague mentioned an app or workout that they like? Turn it on then start to move at your own pace.
- Online fitness classes are abundant. I myself will be trying a few different routines just for fun. An example of a place to start could be Essentrics.com. The website has recorded classes for all levels as well as a list of instructors who do live streaming.
- Commit to a workout with a friends or family. Join them for an online class or a socially distanced outdoor hike.
- Stretch. Get up out of your chair and stretch. Start with gently moving your head and neck, work down to your shoulders, elbows, hands, then continue down your spine all the way to your feet.
- Tune in. Try some deep breathing into your belly. Gently fill it and then release. Then check your posture. Can you sit or stand a little taller? Are there areas of your body where you need to relax a little more?
- Write down all of your physical activity options on one page. Keep it simple. Then each day pick one and do it to whatever degree you like. From there more options and ideas may arise.
Get going and stop thinking. There are so many possibilities and so many paths you can take. Pick one and let’s GO!